The city's most important landmark is the Communal Palace,
built in the Moldavian-style Art Nouveau between 1899 and 1903, today
housing the City Hall. The Communal Palace was designed by architects
commissioned by mayor Nicu Constantinescu, at the end of the 19th century.
During The Second World War German soldiers found cover in this palace whose
tower was destroyed by Russian cannon fire during the fighting, being